Unique desert camps
For some mysterious reason, we all have this romantic image in our heads of a vast sand desert of high dunes surrounding us. We are naturally drawn to the romantic idea of visiting a palm tree oasis and watching camel caravans in the distance, navigating like serpents as the orange glow of the sun in the sand fades away.
Our Morocco desert tours combine this vision into real unique experiences that spice up your Morocco private vacations. We will even take you beyond your dreams as you yourself will be part of a sunset camel ride that stops further ahead at the luxury desert camp. This is where you will sleep, under millions of stars that light up the dark Moroccan night sky.
Morocco desert tours highlights
To get to the sand desert, we are lucky to have to cross over the High Atlas Mountains and witness the vast landscapes unfold along the road.
Your very own private journey to the depth of Morocco will be unforgettable. Because pure nature doesn’t get any closer than this. Just like you imagined it every time you came across this fairy-tale oasis being portrayed on a luxury travel magazine or a beautiful photography book. Because there aren’t many places in the world where you can almost reach the stars from atop the sand dunes.
But before the days’ end, your private 4WD vehicle takes you through UNESCO Heritage Sites on a tour that explores rural markets in the Berber villages, hidden oases and valleys, old caravan routes, and fortified kasbahs in the southern parts of the kingdom of Morocco.
If the magnetic sand ocean calls for you, take a stroll up and down the dunes. Or set into the adrenaline rush of riding a desert buggy or an ATV.
As the sun prepares to fall behind the horizon, the camels are your pathfinder under the moonlight. They know where to go, a luxurious campsite where glamping tents await you after a savory Moroccan dinner under all the constellations. In the comfort of your tent, you can almost hear the silence of the desert in deeper Morocco.
The Sahara Desert is one of those once-in-a-lifetime destinations. Desert Tours Morocco are unique experiences to spice your Morocco private vacations, take a sunset camel ride, and stay overnight in a luxury desert camp under the stars.
Experience the Moroccan desert in a special way
- Take an unforgettable journey deep inside Morocco, where stars meet the sand dunes and where a camel is your pathfinder under the moonlight.
- Enjoy a luxurious stay in the Sahara desert in a comfy glamping tent and have dinner under the stars.
- Travel in a private vehicle and take a guided tour of the UNESCO Heritage Site of Ksar Ait Benhaddou.
- Explore rural markets in Berber villages, hidden oases & valleys, explore old caravan routes, and fortified kasbahs in the southern parts of the kingdom.
- Cross over the High Atlas mountains and explore the vast landscapes and sand dunes of the Sahara, try fun activities such as camel trekking, desert buggies, or ATV rides.
Sample Desert Tours
Sahara Experience 4 days:
- Day 1: Marrakesh – Telouet – Ait Benhaddou
- Day 2: Ait Benhaddou – Tazenkhat – Sahara Dunes
- Day 3: A day in the desert or transfer back to Skoura via Draa valley
- Day 4: Sahara dunes or Skoura – Ouarzazate – Marrakech
Marrakech – Essaouira & Sahara 8 Days:
- Day 1: Arrive in Marrakesh or Casablanca
- Day 2: Exploring Marrakesh
- Day 3: Essaouira day tour
- Day 4: Marrakech – Day at leisure (Optional activities: Hot air balloon, cookery class, Hammam & Spa)
- Day 5: Marrakech – Telouet – Ait Benhaddou – Skoura
- Day 6: Skoura – Zagora – Erg Chigaga dunes
- Day 7: Erg Chigaga – Tazenakht – Marrakesh
- Day 8: Marrakech departure
Sahara Experience 7 days:
- Day 1: Marrakech – Telouet – Ait Benhaddou or Skoura
- Day 2: Ait Benhaddou or Skoura to Dades valley
- Day 3: Dades Valley to Merzouga desert
- Day 4: A day in the desert or off to Fes
- Day 5: Exploring Fes
- Day 6: Fes to Chefchaouen via Meknes & Volubilis
- Day 7: Chefchaouen to Tangier or Rabat (Tour can end elsewhere on request)
Marrakech, Sahara Desert & Atlantic Coast 11 days:
- Day 1: Arrive to Marrakesh
- Day 2: Exploring Marrakesh
- Day 3: Marrakech – Day at leisure (Optional activities: Hot air balloon, cookery class, Hammam & Spa)
- Day 4: Marrakesh – Ouzoud Falls – Imi N’Ifri – Skoura
- Day 5: A day in Skoura (Optional day trip to Dades valley & Gorges or within the palm grove with a picnic)
- Day 6: Skoura – Zagora – Erg Chigaga dunes
- Day 7: Erg Chigaga – Tazenkhat – Ait Benhaddou
- Day 8: Ait Benhaddou – Essaouira
- Day 9: Essaouira (3hours guided tour, free afternoon or optional activities: horseback ride, ATV’s or shopping)
- Day 10: Essaouira to Marrakech (Optional stop at a vineyard Val d’Argan)
- Day 11: Marrakech departure
Morocco Desert Tours from Marrakech
Morocco Desert Tours are short guided trips of 3, 4 to 5 days or more, that depart from Marrakech, Fez, Ouarzazate, or Agadir. All these desert tours include at least 1-night camping in the Sahara desert, mostly Erg Chebbi, which is a popular desert destination in Morocco, alternatively to Erg Chigaga which is considered remote and wild dunes of Morocco. All our Morocco desert tours can be customized to suit your requirements in terms of accommodations from mid-range to luxury camps and top-end riads, time frame, pick up & drop off locations as well as flexibility. As a local tour operator, we run the Morocco desert tours on daily basis so do not hesitate to e-mail us your dates or call our Tripadvisors to design your itinerary.
Morocco desert tours with Erg Chebbi: Erg Chebbi or Merzouga are the dunes located in the southeast of Morocco, a 9 and 5 hours drive from Marrakech, and Ouarzazate, respectively. The Erg Chebbi dunes are the ideal desert area in terms of location: If you wish to combine between southern and northern Morocco in a limited amount of days, the easy access from cities such as Fez, Marrakesh, and Ouarzazate and the wide choice of accommodation from luxury hotels & camps to cheaper auberges (Inns) in the dune line. All this makes Erg Chebbi dunes a notable desert destination in Morocco.
During a Morocco desert to Erg Chebbi, one can spend a single night in the middle of dunes under the nomad Bedouin tents in a camp or a well-equipped hotel at the dune line of Erg Chebbi in the Merzouga area. A camel trek is a must-do activity, and it could be a short sunset camel ride or an overnight camel trek for 2 hours with a sunset and night in Bedouin nomad tents in a camp located in an oasis. The next morning, you are invited for a beautiful sunrise on the dunes before you get back on a camel to the hotel to refresh and head to the next destination: Fez, Marrakech, or elsewhere. Extended Merzouga camel treks with a local desert guide/camel driver are available over 2 to 3 days wandering inside the Erg Chebbi dunes. These activities can be included as part of your Private Morocco Desert Tour.
Morocco desert tours with Erg Chigaga: Erg Chigaga are the sand dunes located in the south of Morocco close to Mhamid and Foumzguid, an 8 and 5 hours journey from Marrakech and Ouarzazate respectively. They are the remote sand dunes of Morocco and could be a great fit for round trips Morocco desert tours departing Marrakech, Essaouira, Agadir, or Ouarzazate. During a Morocco desert to Erg Chigaga, one can stay a night or two in a nomad tented or a luxury desert camp and take a sunset camel ride.