Morocco offers many destinations for camel trekking such as Merzouga, Zagora & Mhamid, but the best & recommended places for Morocco Camel Treks are the dunes of Erg Chebbi or Erg Chegaga (Chigaga) from Mhamid. Infinite Morocco offer Morocco camel trekking tours that are included in our organized & suggested 4×4 desert tours as an overnight camel trek & night in a nomad tent and also extended Morocco camel treks that last from 2 , 3, 4 and 5 days in Merzouga and Mhamid.
Quick Links: Camel Treks Morocco & Desert Tours with Camel rides:
- Morocco Camel Treks Destinations: Zagora, Merzouga & M’hamid
- Erg Chebbi (Merzouga) Morocco Camel Treks options
- Erg Chegaga (Chigaga) Morocco Camel Treks options
- Marrakesh to Marrakech Desert Tours & Sahara Trips with Camel Ride
- Morocco Desert Tours from Marrakesh to Fez & Fes to Marrakech
- Ouarzazate Desert Tours with 4×4 & Camel Treks
Camel Trekking Morocco Tours & Destinations:
* Morocco Camel trekking at Zagora is an option for people who have a very limited time, the dunes in Zagora are smaller and we cannot compare them to Erg Chebbi or Erg Chigaga for example but one can still enjoy a camel ride and spend the night in nomad tented camp in the oasis called Nekhla or Tizi where Zagora dunes are located. We organize Marrakech camel trekking tours to Zagora based on 2 days /1 night on daily basis, this tour include High Atlas Mountains, Ait Benhaddou Kasbahs, Draa valley and Ouarzazate and camel ride in Zagora for sunset and camel trek back from the camp next morning.
* Merzouga is a village and the area where Erg Chebbi desert dunes are situated. Morocco camel treks at Erg Chebbi are recommended options for a real desert experience especially if intend to take a short tour from Fez to Marrakesh or Marrakech to Fez via Erg Chebbi, a minimum of 3 days is required, 4 and 5 days are available and recommended options for more comfort by breaking the long distances. Erg Chebbi dunes are said to be the highest dunes of Morocco.
* Mhamid is also a village, the last one south of Zagora and Tagounite where the paved road ends. Mhamid is a starting point of Morocco camel trekking tours to Erg Chigaga. Erg Chigaga camel treks range from an overnight in a nomad tent that we include in our organized 4×4 Morocco desert tours & treks to extended camel trekking tours of 3, 4 and 5 days. Erg Chigaga dunes are wild desert dunes of Morocco.
Camel Trekking Morocco Tours: Erg Chebbi Camel Treks :
The Erg Chebbi sand dunes at Merzouga represent an excellent centre for the exploration of Morocco’s sandy or true desert, they are considered to be one of the great sights of Morocco, The Erg Chebbi dunes can be reached most directly from Erfoud through an off-road trail or via Rissani on paved road. The Erg Chebbi desert dunes fascinate Moroccans and foreigners alike. Mention “Merzouga” anywhere in Morocco and people will tell you of the power of the sands to cure rheumatics who come here to be buried up to the neck in the sand. Widely believed, but never seen! The Erg Chebbi dunes also have a wide-ranging aesthetic appeal; witness the film directors, writers, artists and photographs who struggle to convey their beauty.
Morocco Camel Treks options in Erg Chebbi Desert include:
1- A short camel ride1 ~ 2 hours for sunset or sunrise at Erg Chebbi with a night either at one of the hotels (Erg Chebbi hotels offer en-suite rooms with A/C & a swimming pool) at the dune line or nomad tented camp, luxury camps are available on request.
2- Erg Chebbi camel treks with overnight in a nomad tents under the stars, the Sahara desert camps are located inside the Erg Chebbi dunes, a camel ride of 1h30 ~ 2 hours is necessary to get there. This option starts at the sunset in front of the hotel at the dune line and ends after you assist to a sunrise followed by breakfast and camel trek back to the hotel for a shower.
3- Extended Morocco Camel Treks options that include camel tours of 2, 3 and 4 days with a local desert guide and camels for sure. This will allow meeting the real nomads who live in the desert practicing activities such as pasturing herds of goats and camels…etc, you may share a cup of tea or a meal with one of this families.
Camel Trekking Morocco, Erg Chigaga (Chegaga) Camel Treks Morocco:
The Erg Chigaga (Chegaga) sand dunes are considered to be a more protected desert area in Morocco due to one main reason is that building tourism infrastructures such as hotels is prohibited, the only lodging available options are still the nomad tented camps and luxury Sahara camp with facilities. The Erg Chigaga (Chegaga) desert dunes offer a unique experience thanks to their wilderness, they are accessed from the ultimate village of Mhamid where the paved road ends and the adventure of a Morocco camel trekking tour to Erg Chigaga starts, for this purpose two means of Transport are available: by camels or in 4×4 vehicle.
Morocco Camel Treks options in Erg Chigaga Sand Dunes include:
1- Erg Chigaga camel treks from M’hamid last for 3 days /2 nights (all in tents) and return with 4×4 vehicle, this option can be included in our organized Morocco desert tours. Other extended camel treks at Erg Chigaga with a desert guide are available from 4 to 5 days with pick up and drop off.
2- Overnight at Erg Chigaga with camel trek at the sunset from Mhamid, pick up is arranged from M”hamid with a 4×4 vehicle and transport for around 60km (2hours drive) to reach the sand dunes, enjoy the sunset and camel ride over the dunes, spend the night in a nomad tent under the stars.
Camel Trekking Morocco, Ouarzazate 4×4 Desert Tours & Camel Treks Morocco:
From Ouarzazate, many camel treks options are available as it has both access to Erg Chebbi in Merzouga and Chigaga near Mhamid, so it is quite well placed to start a tour that includes a short camel ride or extended camel trekking in the desert with multiple nights in tented camps.