Welcome to Morocco in December, a captivating country in North Africa known for its rich culture, stunning landscapes, and warm hospitality. December is a charming time to visit Morocco, offering a unique blend of cultural experiences, festive celebrations, and pleasant winter weather. With a variety of attractions and activities, Morocco in December is an excellent choice for your vacation. December is for many people, the best time to visit Morocco.
December weather in Morocco
What to Visit in Morocco in December depends in many factors, and Morocco weather in December is characterized by mild winter temperatures:
- Marrakech: December brings daytime highs around 18°C (64°F) and cooler evenings. It’s an ideal time to explore the city’s historic medina, gardens, and vibrant markets without the summer heat.
- Fes: Fes experiences cool temperatures, averaging around 14°C (57°F). It’s an excellent time to wander through Fes’ ancient streets and visit its renowned medina.
- Sahara Desert: Days in the Sahara Desert are comfortably cool, with temperatures around 20°C (68°F), making it a perfect time for desert adventures and camel treks.
- Coastal Cities: Coastal cities like Casablanca and Essaouira have mild temperatures, providing an enjoyable beach getaway.
- High Atlas Mountains: The mountains offer ideal conditions for winter activities, with the possibility of snowfall in higher elevations.
December may see occasional rainfall in some regions, so it’s advisable to check the weather forecast when planning outdoor activities.
December Morocco weather chart
Weather table for December in the top 10 Moroccan cities, including high and low temperatures in both degrees Celsius and degrees Fahrenheit, along with the average rainfall for the month.
|High Temperature (°C)
|High Temperature (°F)
|Low Temperature (°C)
|Low Temperature (°F)
|Average Rainfall (mm)
December is one of the cooler months in Morocco, with more rainfall in several regions. It’s advisable to check the latest weather forecasts when planning your visit to these Moroccan cities in December.
Moroccan Weather Temperature Charts
Top Places to Visit Morocco in December
- Marrakech: Explore the vibrant souks, visit historical sites like the Bahia Palace, and enjoy cultural events and festivals. Marrakech comes alive with holiday decorations and festivities in December.
- Fes: Dive into the medieval charm of the Fes medina, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Explore at your leisure in the pleasant December weather.
- Sahara Desert: Take a camel trek into the dunes of Erg Chebbi or Erg Chigaga and experience the magic of the desert without extreme heat. Stargazing in the desert’s clear night sky is a highlight.
- Essaouira: Enjoy the coastal charm, relax on the beach, and indulge in water sports or leisurely strolls. The city’s historic medina is adorned with holiday lights.
- High Atlas Mountains: Embrace the winter spirit with skiing and snowboarding in the mountains, especially in places like Oukaimeden.
December is a festive month in Morocco, and you can experience local holiday celebrations and markets.
Activities and Experiences
- Festive Celebrations: Immerse yourself in the local holiday spirit by visiting markets, enjoying traditional foods, and witnessing festive decorations.
- Desert Adventures: Explore the Sahara Desert and take part in camel treks while enjoying the pleasant winter climate.
- Beach Relaxation: Enjoy the coastal atmosphere, and if the weather permits, indulge in water activities.
- Mountain Adventures: If you’re a winter sports enthusiast, head to the High Atlas Mountains for skiing and snowboarding.
When you visit Morocco in December, you can immerse yourself in the local holiday festivities and markets, offering a unique cultural experience. Be sure to try Moroccan holiday treats like “kaab el ghzal” (gazelle horns) and “briouat.”
- Marrakech International Film Festival – Continues into December.
- New Year’s Eve – Festive celebrations in major cities.
Travel Tips for December
- Warm Clothing: Pack warm clothing, especially if you plan to visit the mountains or experience cooler evenings in cities.
- Festive Spirit: Embrace the holiday spirit by participating in local celebrations and trying holiday specialties.
- Check Weather Updates: Keep an eye on the weather forecast, especially if you plan outdoor activities in mountainous regions.
- Festive Markets: Don’t miss the opportunity to visit holiday markets and sample local holiday treats.
Accommodation and Dining
Morocco offers a wide range of accommodations, from riads (traditional guesthouses) to luxury hotels. In December, you can enjoy festive dining experiences and savor Moroccan specialties like tagine and couscous in local restaurants. Be sure to try holiday sweets like “sellou.”
Morocco in December offers a perfect blend of mild winter weather, festive celebrations, and a variety of outdoor and indoor activities. Whether you’re exploring historic cities, embarking on desert adventures, or enjoying the coastal breeze, this is a wonderful time to immerse yourself in the beauty and culture of Morocco while experiencing the local holiday spirit. Start planning your unforgettable journey to Morocco in December today!